|View single post by activa|
|Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 05:10 pm||
|Ok, we have a dishwasher that STINKS! I mean, it's REALLY FOUL! The stink comes from a constant buildup of black, stinky... $#!†. I mean, the DOD could use this in some form of germ warfare! It's obviously food waste. We can run a cycle with bleach, but after a few more cycles it's goes back to stinky.
Possibly relevant factors:
1. We have water with lots of iron and manganese in it (i.e., I only ever have a white shirt for about a week).
2. We use an "organic" type of detergent (Melaleuca--it's safe to use, but I'm guessing THAT's the culprit).
3. We eat a lot of fermented mushroom jelly (just kidding--wanted to see if you were paying attention).
4. The dishwasher doesn't have an air trap, the drain just goes up as high as possible below the countertop, then drops about a foot before it goes into the sink trap.
5. The house has a graywater system (well--sort of a system--actually, no system, it just dumps the graywater onto the ground outside. I know it's WAYYYY beyond "not up to code." Don't blame me, we bought the house that way.)
My next step is to buy some REAL detergent and try that. But if there's anybody who has some other ideas, PLEASE LET ME KNOW... I CAN'T STAND THE SMELL!